Thursday, September 16, 2010

Lovin' Early Fall

My favorite time of year is early fall. The air takes on a crisp feel, but the sunshine is still nice and warm and the humidity levels are gone.

This past weekend was a spectacular early fall weekend. I worked at the shop on Saturday, but had Sunday off, so the Mr. and I went on a little road trip (again). At least once every fall, we tend to take the loop down through Red Wing, to Wabasha. There we cross over to Wisconsin and head to Pepin and Stockholm.

Wabasha was lovely - what a cute little river town. There were corn stalks, pumpkins and goards all over town, but what surprised me is that there were NO smashed pumpkins anywhere.



While we were driving through Pepin, we discovered that they were celebrating Laura Ingall Wilder days in town. People were lining up along the road for the parade and there was a little area in town where people were in period costume. There was one woman weaving there and I was able to take her photo (with her permission). I didn't get her spinning wheel in the photo, but she had a Kromski Majurka!


In Stockholm, which is a quaint little town that thrives on tourists - but in a tasteful way - I noticed some of "nature's lace".


All in all, it was a great little road trip. I highly recommend the route. In a few weeks, the fall colors there should be spectacular!

Of course, I did manage to get some weaving done too! I'm loving this project though I have 2 small threading errors. I chose just to leave them in - one will probably even out when the towels are washed, and the other is close to the selvage.

No comments:

Post a Comment